If you are ending either a property or garage tenancy with Eastlight, please read the information below then complete the form or contact us with any questions. We are here to help.
- Complete the form below
- Eastlight will contact you to agree you can end the tenancy and tell you the next steps
- We'll tell you what condition your home needs to be left in, ask questions and see if you require any support
- We may come and inspect your home, if needed
- We'll ask you to return the keys, including where to and the deadline
- We'll take over the utilities.
- Please leave your home empty, clean and tidy - in the same condition it was when you moved in
- Please leave all keys in your home, including window keys, back door keys, communal keys and any spare front door keys. We'll ask you to return one set of front door keys to us).
Leaving your home empty
We expect you to leave your home empty, removing all belongings and furniture. This includes removing curtain poles and curtains, and emptying any loft space, storage cupboards and garages.
All flooring, i.e., carpet, underlay, grippers, laminate and vinyl flooring must be removed. If you have laid your own flooring in the
kitchen or bathroom, for safety reasons you will need to remove it and return it to the
standard non-slip flooring which we provided when the property was let to you.
Leaving your home clean and tidy
We expect you to leave your home clean and in a good state of repair and decoration.
Whilst we expect there to be fair wear and tear on the fixtures and fittings, any broken or damaged items must be repaired or replaced before you leave.
The walls should be in good decorative condition, free from nails, screws and picture hooks. Any ripped, damaged or marked wallpaper must be taken down.
The property should also be free of nicotine staining. If this is not done before you leave, you will be recharged the cost of the repairs or replacements.
Leaving any outdoor space in good condition
If your home has a garden, the grass,
hedges and trees should be well maintained, and the garden should be clear of any
If you have added a shed, green house, or wooden decking to your home, these must be removed (including the base) before you move out.
For safety reasons, our homes cannot have ponds, as they are a drowning risk for children. If you have added a pond, this will need to be removed and backfilled.
Minor changes to your home
If you have made any minor changes to your home, such as changing the light fittings, switches or plug sockets, these will also need to be returned to their original condition before you move out.
Major changes to your home
If you have made any major improvements to your home, such as fitting a new kitchen, bathroom or boiler, or replacing stairs or banister rails, you should have asked for written consent from Eastlight to complete this work. This is known as “landlord consent”.
Any improvements you have made to your home with landlord's consent can be left as they are when you move. If you have made any improvements without obtaining written consent, you will need to apply for this retrospectively or return your home back to its original condition before moving out.
If you have been involved in a mutual exchange, you will need to ensure the previous tenant applied for landlord's consent for any improvements they made to the property, also. If this is not done, you may be charged the cost of Eastlight carrying out this work. See more about landlord's consent here.
Returning the keys
You will also need to return one set of front door keys to us. You can do this by dropping the keys into the box outside Eastlight House, Charter Way, Braintree or by post, returning the keys via recorded delivery to RETURN OF KEYS, PO BOX 13199, BRAINTREE, CM7 0PE.
Please make sure you include in the envelope your name, address, contact number and the address of the property. Not having this information can cause delays and mean another weeks’ rent will need to be charged.
It is important that any posted keys are sent via recorded delivery, as proof of postage will ensure you do not incur a charge for a forced entry or lock change in the event that the keys are lost/not returned on time.
Here are some links to local charities and other organisations who can help with house clearances, recycling unwanted items and household waste removal:
Recycling and household waste removal
- Find a recycling centre (loveessex.org)
- Love Essex Search - Disposal Services
- Waste and recycling | Essex County Council (bulky waste collections)
- Bulky waste » East Suffolk Council
- Bulky household waste - Uttlesford District Council
Charity clearance services
If you are interested in moving to a smaller home, you can apply for our Downsizing Assistance Scheme, which may give you a cash reward and also provide you with the support you need to go through the process. The scheme applies to all tenants who would like to downsize, whether the property you are moving to is an Eastlight home or not.
You can apply for the scheme by registering with your local authority to downsize through their housing register.
How you go about this will depend on where you live. Details can be found here.
The payment you receive for downsizing will differ depending on the size of the property you are giving up.
Payment will be made shortly after your move, and any charges or outstanding rent will be deducted from the amount you receive.
You are not entitled to a downsizing payment if you are downsizing following a succession of a tenancy.
Assigning your tenancy
Sometimes it’s possible for a tenancy to be passed onto another qualifying person. This is known as ‘assignment’. This is explained in your tenancy agreement; it is normally only possible in very limited circumstances and only after we have given our permission.
Your options for a new home
For advice about your options for a home to move to, please take a look at this page or contact us.
If you are struggling to pay your bills, please take a look at this page or contact us. We are here for you.
Please check your tenancy agreement for your notice period, or ask us when we contact you.
Ending your garage tenancy
Giving notice, what to do during the notice period, and returning your keys.
- If you would like to end your garage tenancy, you need to give us at least one weeks’ notice.
- Our tenancies can only end on a Sunday, so you will need to give notice by at least the Sunday before the date you would like the tenancy to end.
- You will need to give us notice in writing. You can do this by completing the end of tenancy form below.
During the notice period
- Rent will still be payable during the one-week notice period.
- You will need to leave the garage empty and in at least the same state of repair you received it in.
Returning the keys
- You will also need to return the garage keys to us. You can do this by dropping the keys into the box outside Eastlight House, Charter Way, Braintree or by post, returning the keys to RETURN OF KEYS, PO BOX 13199, BRAINTREE, CM7 0PE. Please make sure you include in the envelope your name, address, contact number and the address of the garage. Not having this information can cause delays and mean another weeks’ rent will need to be charged.
- The keys must be returned by Monday at noon - which will mean posting them before Saturday at noon. If the keys are not returned by this time an additional weeks’ rent will be charged.
- Once the keys are returned, we will email or text you to confirm that the tenancy has ended.