Affordable housing for older people
Our housing for older people schemes are for individuals and couples aged over 55-years-old, which help retain your dignity, privacy and independence. If you require extra support, we can shape that with you to meet your needs. We have 24 housing for older people schemes available across Essex.
Facilities differ at schemes, but this is a rough idea of what to expect:
- Communal lounges, gardens and laundry facilities
- Guest rooms for friends and relatives available for a nightly fee
- Emergency personal alarm which alerts Telecare monitoring service, 24/7. These include hardwired pull cords, dispersed alarms and pendants. There may be an extra charge for pendants
- Mobility scooter storage available for a small charge.
To help maintain your safety and independence, we can help you:
- Get accessibility equipment and adaptations to your home
- Get meals on wheels, and find you care providers and physical and mental health services
- To manage your finances
- To find social activities
- To be protected from neglect and abuse.
You will pay a weekly charge, including rent, which pays for the management and maintenance of your home and a service charge which goes towards communal services.
Other charges vary depending on the scheme, and can include costs for electricity and heating.
If you are eligible, rent and some service charges are paid through Housing Benefit and Universal Credit.
Please get in touch if any questions or would like to discuss anything. We are here for you.