Affordable housing for older people
If you are over 55 you may be looking for a place where you can live independently - and have peace of mind with support available should you need it.
Our affordable housing for older people schemes are designed to provide accommodation for individuals and couples which allows you to retain dignity, privacy and independence.
If you require extra support we shape that with you to meet your individual needs.
We have 24 housing for older people schemes across Essex.
Facilities differ at some schemes, this is what we offer:
- Communal lounges, gardens and laundry facilities.
- Guest rooms for friends and relatives available for a nightly fee. (not all schemes)
- Emergency personal alarm which alerts Telecare monitoring service 24/7. These include hardwired pull cords, dispersed alarms and pendants. There may be an extra charge for pendants.
- Mobility scooter storage available for a small charge. (not all schemes)
To help maintain your safety and independence, we can help you:
- Get accessibility equipment and adaptations to your home.
- Get meals on wheels, find care providers and physical and mental health services.
- To manage your finances
- To find social activities
- Be protected from neglect and abuse.
You will pay a weekly charge including rent which pays for the management and maintenance of your home and a service charge which goes towards communal services.
Other charges vary depending on the scheme and can include costs for electricity and heating.
If you are eligible, rent and some service charges are paid through Housing Benefit and Universal Credit.