Eastlight will take reports of pest issues seriously while providing support and guidance to ensure that your home is a safe environment to live in.
Under the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018, Eastlight will ensure that your home is safe, healthy and free from things that could cause serious harm. Pests such as rats, mice, cockroaches and pigeons pose a risk to human health and are covered by the Act. It is important to note that pests can gain entry to a property through a variety small cracks, drains, pipes and air vents / bricks. If such gaps exist and you are aware of it, it is very important that you make Eastlight aware so we can repair for you.
There will be some circumstances where you will be responsible for pest control measures.
Where you are responsible to resolve pest control issues that do not make your home unsafe, such as fleas, bed bugs and wasps, you can contact your local authority who will be able to support you. Please click here for further guidance on pest control at your property.
Where there is a rat, mouse or cockroach infestation and it can be proven that the customer was negligent in the upkeep of the property, they may be responsible for their own pest control measures. Some examples include leaving rubbish to attract pests such as mice and rats, living in unsanitary conditions or regularly leaving food outside. If your living environment is of an extent whereby you require support from Eastlight we can help you with this.
When you have the need to contact Eastlight with concern around pest control, please ensure that you provide us with full details of any contributing factors that may be part of the cause. This can include surrounding properties with untidy gardens, in addition to large amounts of rubbish in the local area and / or property development in the area which can cause pests such as rats and mice to relocate.
Eastlight are responsible for dealing with pest problems if:
- Repairs are needed to stop pests getting in
- An infestation makes your home unsafe and confirmed by environmental services and / or pest control professional services
If it is deemed that the responsibility is Eastlight’s to resolve, we will arrange and pay for a pest control operative to attend your home and address the issue. The date and time will be mutually agreed between Eastlight and you.
Eastlight will also be responsible for all pest control measures that are within or are generated from communal based areas. These include communal areas within blocks of flats and also our Housing for older people homes.
The right of reasonable access
In an emergency, Eastlight is permitted to enter the property as per the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement. However, in the case of repairing a property to make it fit for habitation, Eastlight will give you at least 24 hours’ notice and the visit will be within ‘reasonable’ hours.
We please ask that you work with us to remedy any situation that relates to pest control measures that could be making your home unsafe to live in.
Tips for keeping your home pest free
- Wipe kitchen surfaces and floors regularly to remove any traces of food, especially after preparing or eating a meal
- Clean up food spills immediately
- Don’t leave food (including pet food) or unwashed dishes out, particularly overnight
- Store food in sealed containers
- Make sure rubbish is in a bin bag and throw it away in your bin or bin store
- Keep your garden tidy (eg. don’t leave any rubbish and old furniture out) to reduce the chance of mice and rats nesting
- If you feed birds use a table or a feeder off the ground, out of the reach of mice and rats
- Seal holes around pipework with filler (eg. wire wool with mastic sealer). If you cannot do this please contact Eastlight as soon as possible
- Be a good neighbour: Keep communal areas on your estate clean and pick up any rubbish (particularly food)
- If you have bulky waste that you need to dispose of please do contact your local authority who may be able to assist
- If you have pets in the garden that could cause an attraction to vermin, please be mindful of how you store pet food
If you believe that there is a fault within your home which you believe is causing pest issues, or if you believe that the pest issue is having a detrimental impact making the home unsafe to live in, please do contact us on 0330 128 0330 or email@example.com
Your Tenancy Coordinator will keep in close contact with you and agree dates and times for the contractor to visit and bait where required. The treatment may take up to 4 weeks to complete so please do be patient while this gets addressed. Unless there are exceptional reasons to do so, Eastlight will not move you into another property.
We recommend that you contact your local authority in the first instance who will be able to assist you at their set rate of costs.
Eastlight will assess each report on a case-by-case basis however we will in most cases only be involved if there are faults with the fabric of the building (causing entry points) that need repairing and / or the pests are presenting a direct risk to the safety of you / your household members living in the home.